Saturday, December 19, 2020

My greatest misses: overestimating getting blitzed

 In this match against XG Mobile I made a horrible mistake, and one that took me a long time to even understand.

White to play 41.

So what do you think? Play it safe or split the back checkers and try to run?

My reasoning was: Black has 11 men in the zone, if I split now with 23/18, he will build a big board or prime and just kill me. Better play it safe and wait for a good roll to bring my back men home. So I played 9/8, 9/5 and was very proud of this move that gave me much flexibility in the next rolls.

XG2 said: -0.46. Biggest blunder in weeks, recommending 23/18. 

That really was a WTF moment for me - splitting my back checkers against so many of his builders? Running into a 4-way attack? The only numbers that don't hit me are 55 and 25. 

Only once I played 10 games from this position I noticed the difference: black is closing in fast. If I don't act now it will build a strong prime in the next moves. But if I split and endure his hit, I have some good fighting chances because of its weaker inner board. Many hits give me return hits.

The lesson this taught me: don't overestimate the opponent's blitzing chances if their board is weaker than yours. Is that the lesson? Hm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m moving!

Dear reader, While I’m busy moving this site to a new place where I can give you a better overview of the content (and revisiting my reviews...