Sunday, April 11, 2021

Even the Gods blunder sometimes

Played a match against the wonderful True Backgammon on my iPad today. Very surprising: BGBlitz on 2-ply believes I played at PR 6.0, and that the BGBlitz in True BG played at PR "-0.5" (better than perfect :-) ).

But if you feed the match into XG2, or if you go for a BGBlitz 4-ply analysis, things change dramatically. My rating moves to PR 7.8, BGBlitz's rating to PR 6.5.

It turns out that BGBlitz doesn't seem to deal well with avoiding backgammon losses. Both the BGBlitz engine inside of True BG nor BGBlitz for the PC blunder seriously in this position.


Blue to play 32. 

Not too hard, right - blue must run away from being backgammoned and should play something like 21/18 20/18. Actually, 24/22 21/18 is best, avoiding trouble when rolling a 11 next.

But True BG played 24/22 7/4, and BGBlitz on up to 3-play finds this move just great. Only on 4-ply it agrees with XG2 that this is a serious blunder (BGBlitz: -0.19, XG2 rollout -0.178)

And so it happened: I won this game with a Backgammon :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m moving!

Dear reader, While I’m busy moving this site to a new place where I can give you a better overview of the content (and revisiting my reviews...